Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Real Survivor

Nope, not someone sitting on the beach of some remote island, stabbing everyone in the back while smiling and burning socks. Sorry, just got done watching the first episode of Survivor this season. I'm addicted and I really hate to admit it.

No, the Survivor I'm talking about is me, today, after walking a total of six miles which should be easy. I thought it would be easy. I really looked forward to it, but now, sitting here on the couch because I really can't move, I'm feeling pretty stupid. I did finish the six miles, almost in last place. I can only console myself by saying, you did better than all the people who only did 2 miles, but that's a copout. I'm almost dead after walking, I repeat WALKING, 6 stupid miles. I finished but I feel like a loser. My shins are cramping up and I have blisters on the bottom of both feet. How stupid is that. We went out for brunch afterwards (I represented infoGROUP, my company, but walked with Jen's group from Majors Plastics) Anyway, we got to the restaurant and I almost passed out. A splash of cold water in the restroom and some OJ had me feeling pretty good again, but really, how wimpy is that?
Well, it does tell me one thing. When I can move again I need to get off this couch. Like actually working out on a regular basis and eating right. I've been such a bad girl this summer. Anyway, I did finish, I survived and I will do it again next year. Without the blisters and almost passing out part.

Anyway, here are a few highlights of the day.
The race started at 8:15 AM and Omaha was looking pretty good that early.


I always like checking out all the different shirts. Each company designs their own and try to stand out in the crowd. I'm not being prejudiced here, but the Major's Plastics team won hands down.

If you check out what their shirts say "Race Offical Do Not Pass" it would seem pretty clever. Well it was, but some people just didn't get it. They thought these guys were race officals and kept asking them questions. It was hysterical.

These would come in second and third.




Our shirts didn't really stand out much.

The gal in the middle with the white shirt with "Run With It" are ours.

One of the local businesses had a sign up to urge us all on.


I think the guy behind the police car was the winner. He was WAY ahead at the 4 mile mark. I mean nobody was even close and he was bookin'.


The finish line, finally. As you can see someone with a stroller came in ahead of me. Actually, alot of people with strollers came in ahead of me. I even saw a couple of blind people who came in ahead of me.


Brunch at Taxi's. Food was good but it was the OJ that saved the day.
Well, I think I may just sleep on the couch tonight. It will save me having to move again.
Here's to you and your race, whatever it might be. :-)

3 comments:

Nej said...

OK...you aren't a wimp. 6 miles is quite a ways to walk when you haven't done it in a while. Add in the fact that you wore cotton socks, and I'm sure you were miserable. But.....like you said, sometimes good can come of this stuff. Now you're motivated to do something more. Good for you!!!! I'll run it next year....I'll run the whole stinkin' 10K if I have anything to say about it. :-) :-)

Goody Two Shoes said...

I bet you will, too!!!

Nej said...

Did you see us on the news? Not sure which station, but Danny said they focused in on Jean, Joan and I multiple times during the news cast. :-)