Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pioneer Village

Somehow the conversation in our group at work turned to Pioneer Village yesterday. If you've never heard of it, Pioneer Village is a collection of buildings and artifacts from the midwest located at Minden NE. If you'd like to know more go to http://www.pioneervillage.org/. When I was a kid we went there and it seemed huge and really cool and full of people. They had exhibits of antique cars and trucks, buildings from the 1800's. A church, a country store, a one room school house, etc. And they had people dressed up in period costumes doing interesting things like making rope, brooms, a black smith, etc. Things you just don't see today. I remember taking all day to walk around with my parents looking at things I didn't recognize and mom or dad would explain what things were and, in some cases, tell us how they used stuff like that when they were kids.

A few years ago Michael and I took Brandon on vacation with us. We went to Texas and New Mexico to visit Michael's dad and on the way home we decided to take Brandon to Pioneer Village. We both remembered it from our childhoods and decided it would be fun to take him. It was so different seeing it as an adult. Everything seemed smaller, not as busy and just a little sad. And when Brandon asked us what things were we didn't always know the answer like mom and dad had and we had certainly never used this stuff when we were kids. It's funny how things change as you get older.
Anyway, I hope Brandon has good memories of the trip and of Pioneer Village. Maybe someday he'll take his kids there and they'll ask questions and maybe he'll even know the answers.

So, I thought I'd add a few pictures to give you an idea of what Pioneer Village is like. If I can find some pictures that were taken when we went there as kids I'll post them on Old Photo Wednesday.

















Here to good memories. Have a good day. :)

2 comments:

Nej said...

Have I ever been to Pioneer Village? I don't think so, unless I was young and didn't remember.

Goody Two Shoes said...

We never took a family vacation there, so you probably haven't been there. You guys should check it out sometime.