Monday, August 17, 2009

Wierd Dreams in New Mexico

Michael and I just got home (well, actually we got home last night) from yet another road trip to New Mexico. Michael's dad has been very ill and in the hospital in Amarillo since early in July. Sadly, he passed away on August 5th. Hence, we have been making alot of trips to Texas and New Mexico to visit him and lastly this past week for the Memorial Service.

I have been working on a power point presentation for 2 or 3 weeks using old photos of Milo and his family to use for his memorial. I really didn't think we would be using it this soon. Anyway, Michael had picked out 3 songs that he thought were approptiate and I was setting the photos to the music. Keep this info in mind for reference later.

We left on Tuesday to head (the Evergreen Motel) for our first night's lodging. I loved it and got a great night's sleep.


We were up and on our way a little later than we planned on Wednesday morning. I guess we both needed the sleep, 'cause neither of us woke up early. Didn't get headed out until 8 AM. We arrived in Amarillo and went first to the mortuary to pick up Michael's dad's remains. That was a very strange experience as was having them in the truck with us. After a few more activites in Amarillo, we headed for San Jon. I was just ready to get out of the truck and not do alot of driving for a few hours. We were going to stay at Milo's house in San Jon and when we got there I decided that I had to do some cleaning. The house was nasty and that's being nice. I didn't want to touch anything. I worked on the sun room, thinking maybe there would be one room I could stand to be in. I don't think it worked. Still nasty. Went to bed late and slept fairly well.

I thought Thursday might be a bit of a stressful day. I was going to meet Michael's 1/2 sister Nancy for the first time. Jen and Tom arrived about 9 AM and Doug, Cindy and kids were't too far behind. Then, about 10:30 Nancy and Stan arrived with their dog Buster. Buster was a big hit with everyone and provided the days first excitement. Tom and Jen volunteered to take him for a walk and at some point he picked up a burr in his paw. Tom was very upset about it and it was a little exciting watching them remove it. Brandon loved him and wanted to play with him all day. Unfortunately, he's allergic and they had to leave early. Michael, Nancy Stan and I visited all afternoon. I really enjoyed getting to know them.


We all headed to Tucumcari (that spelling doesn't look right) for supper since there's absolutely no place in San Jon. We ended up going to Del's and met up with Doug, Cindy and the kids for supper. If you are ever in Tucumcari and looking for a place to eat, I recommend Del's. The food is excellent and the people are very friendly. After supper we were getting ready to head back to San Jon, but decided to call Michael's sister Linda and see if they were in town yet. They were just a few minutes away, so we headed to their hotel, which was where Jen and Tom were staying as well. They hadn't eaten yet, so we all headed back to Del's. They ate and we had desert. Yummy!!!!!!


We headed back to San Jon and we were both tired and ready to bed. Now is when I need you to think back to the videos I have been working on for the memorial service. Michael picked 3 songs (Cowgirls Don't Cry, Daddy let me Drive and Prop Me Up By The Juke Box) for the service and I have been setting pictures to the music. I must have listened to these songs a hundred time by this time and I was having trouble getting the music out of my head. Added to that were the peacocks. Yes, I said Peacocks.

Milo had a pair of peacock plaques hanging on his wall. They had been hanging in the family home for years and Michael was determined that He or Linda should take them home and hang them in the house. Linda had told Michael at dinner that she didn't want them and on the drive to San Jon, Michael was saying that we should take them and hang them in our dining room. Now here I was going to bed in a house that was VERY dirty and smelled horribly or cigarette smoke and I had this music stuck in my head. That's a bad combination when mixed with lemon merangine pie eaten at 10:30 at night. I had horrible dreams all night that featured Cowgirls Don't Cry with dancing peacocks. Needless to say, I was not in a good place when I woke up on Friday morning.

We had appointments in Tucumcari with the lawyer and the bank on Friday morning. I really didn't want to go, but didn't want to hurt Michael's feelings so I went and didn't say anything. He could tell something was wrong so I told him about the dreams and the fact that Milo's house was very depressing and the cigarette odor was giving me a sore throat, which was true. The whole situation was taking it's toll on me. I needed some time away from the whole situation. I needed some fun!!!! Things went well with the lawyer and the bank appointment was disappointing. There was NOTHING in the safety deposit box. Very disappointing for the kids. We decided to might at the hotel to discuss the appointments and what they should do next. They decided to call area car dealers and see if they would be interested in buying Milo's Blazer. Michael called the number found on the internet for the Ford dealer and started explaining the situation to the guy who answered. The call turned out to be a wrong number, but the guy who answered was looking for a vehicle. That has to be devine intervention. Then the conversation turned to auto insurance and several calls later plans were made to drop off the money to renew the policy. By this time I had had enough and everyone knew it. I was pretty much of a bitch.

Michael decided I needed to go play with Jen and Tom for the afternoon and Jen, Tom, Kent, Linda and I headed to Santa Fe. Glorious freedom from Michael and the whole funeral scene. I was very excited and we had a great time in Santa Fe except for Michael's phone calls. I bought a bracelet and necklace and took lots of pictures. When we got back to Tucumcari I found that Michael had booked us into the Days Inn for the night. That was the best news of all. I got an excellent night's sleep. No more dancing peacocks!!!! Actually, I talked to Linda on our way to Santa Fe and asked her if she would please take the peacocks home with her. I didn't care if they ended up in a dumpster along the way, they just wouldn't end up on my dining room wall. She totally understood and was able to tell Michael she wanted them and he didn't suspect a thing. What a relief.

Saturday morning we had made plans to meet at Denny's for breakfast. Michael's Aunt Jo and Uncle Walt had arrived Friday night and joined us. I totally love them. They are just the neatest people ever. AFter breakfast we headed back to the hotel to change for the memorial service and head to San Jon. We took the computer over and Doug hooked it up to his projector for the service. We had put him in charge of that part of the service. After that was set up we worked the memorial display. Milo was cremeated (again not spelled right) so we had a picture and some other things of his to display. The family was to meet in the fellowship hall before the service and Michael was visiting with the folks who were getting the food ready and may have sold the house. God is really looking out for us!!!

The service was very nice and very well attended by residents of San Jon. He was very popular. I really hadn't ever met anyone from San Jon, but definately have a different oponion of the town now. The people are wonderful!!!!

After the services and fellowship, we all put on our old clothes and started cleaning everything we wanted out of the house. It took some creative packing, but I think everyone got what they wanted, including plants. We will be making one trip back to finish up and hopefully, finanlize the sale of the house. Headed out of town about 8 PM and drove to Dalhart TX where we spent the night. Drove all day on Sunday and got home about 9 PM.

I'm really glad it's all over and life can get back to normal.

It was wonderful to see the whole family and Stan and Nancy are awesome!!! God does work in mysterious ways.

See you later :)

No comments: