Monday, October 19, 2009

Flu Shot Blues

I like doing new things. At least I usually do. So, today I did another first. Not a really exciting one, but a first just the same.

I GOT A FLU SHOT!!!!!

I know, I know how lame is it that I've never had a flu shot before??

Our company is really making a push towards preventative health care. So, with that as their goal, they offered free flu shots (and rumor has it that when the H1N1 is available we're going to get that for free too.

Anyway, back to my "first"!!! I volunteered to go to our Carter Lake office this morning to set up for the large amount of people they expecting to show up for their shots. I volunteered 'cause I'd missed the opportunity to get my shot at both the Ralston and Papillion offices when they were available, so this was my last chance.

So, I showed up this morning, got everything set up and then I almost chickened out. It's not that I'm afraid of shots. I'm not. It's that I had always heard that there was a possibility that you could actually get the flu after or from getting the shot. Well, as I stood outside of the cubicle where they were giving the shots I kept hearing her say over and over again that this shot wasn't an active flu virus and you couldn't get the flu from the shot.

Well, after that I filled out my paperwork and got in line. I got the shot and now my arm's a little sore, but I'll survive.

Now, I have to remember to remind Michael to get his shot as I'm pretty sure he hasn't gotten it yet.

So, my story has a happy ending, at least so far. Hope I don't get the flu before the 2 weeks it takes for you to build up your immunity.

So, stay happy and healthy this winter and get your flu shot if you haven't done it yet. It really doesn't hurt. At least not all that much. :-)

No comments: