Saturday, June 27, 2009

Indy Car Adventures, part 3

It's been an extremely lazy day at my house, but thought I would take a few minutes from my "hectic" schedule (yeah right) and add a little more info about our weekend adventures.

Let's see, Friday morning we slept in a little later than normal (but when you usually get up at 5:30 AM that's not saying much). Michael got up first, as usual, and started breakfast while I showered and dressed for the day. I took a stroll around the campground while Michael got ready to go.





We headed for the race track about 10:00 AM and the ticket office was our first stop. We had decided to go for the garage passes and ended up getting them for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.



I wasn't sure what we would find to do all 3 days, I mean how much could there be to do in the garage area for 3 days? I guess I was going to find out. Next step, find out where to park and how to get in. We drove around and after asking 3 or 4 people, 1 of which wanted us to give him our truck, we found out where to park and enter. Unfortunately, after we got to the gate, we found out we couldn't get in until 12:30. We killed the hour we had to wait visiting with another fan. He was a season ticket holder and we had a great time visiting with him. We only had to argue with the lady at the gate for a couple of minutes, before we were allowed in to exchange our vouchers for the actual garage passes and we were set to go.




We took the tram down to the garage area. What else would you use to pull the trams in Iowa? John Deere tractors, of course.


This is just a little taste of what it's like. It didn't take long for me to be totally taken in by the whole scene. We have been Danica Patrick fans for quite awhile and one of the first things we saw was her car!!!!!! Ok, I'll admit it, I was totally star struck and I hadn't even seen any stars yet. It was shaping up to be a really great experience.



We spent the rest of the afternoon checking out all the sights. I think I'll just let my pictures tell the rest of the story.















Just a few of the things that were going on on Friday afternoon. Heavy rain and storm warnings forced us to head back to the campsite about 5:00, but of course we had to stop at the Newton Family Restaurant for a bite to eat before heading to camp. Michael decided to take a nap when we got back, so I spent an hour or so downloading pictures off our cameras and getting them ready to go for the next day. After a couple hours of relaxing and listening to the snores from the bedroom, I decided I was bored and needed to be entertained. We headed back to Newton to see what was happening and had to stop and make a rescue on the way. A couple in a pick-up had gone into the ditch trying to turn around in a driveway. We stopped and pulled them out of the ditch before heading on into town. I apologize for not having pictures, but again, I'd left my camera in the camper. There wasn't alot happening in Newton, so we heading back to camp and a good night's sleep.
Stay tuned for the next installment of Indy Car Adventures!!!!! Good night!!!!

1 comment:

Nej said...

And, again, you without your camera. :-) :-)

By the way...check out the bottom of your post. There is about 3 foot of blank space. :-)