Friday, June 26, 2009

Indy Car Adventures, part 2

OK, as you may or may not remember, I left off with a campsite secured at Rock Creek State Park and tickets to the Iowa Corn Indy 250 at the Iowa Speedway in Newton IA. You can read about that here.

I'm going to skip a couple of days, 'cause all I did was work, but on Thursday June 18th at 11:00 AM, look out. I'm outta here!!!!!


Michael picked me up at work (he came home from Newton on Wednesday night and took me to work on Thursday so we would only have one car at the campsite. Rock Creek is a nice park, but things are fairly crowded together and not alot of extra parking space is available.) Anyway, he picked me up and we headed for Newton. We stopped at a Dairy Queen along the way for lunch, but for the life of me I can't remember where. Anyway, had a tasty sandwich and continued on. We arrived at the Newton exit at about 2:30 and went directly to the Speedway.



This is a view of the speedway from the exit.

We went directly to the ticket office to ask about "fan walk" tickets. The nice lady there suggested "garage passes" instead. We decided to head for the campsite and think about which we wanted to get, so headed on to Rock Creek State Park. It's about 14 miles from the speedway to the park and not terribly exciting, but worth the drive. Nice park with a very pretty lake.







A view of our campsite from across the lake.


We hung out at the camp for awhile, unpacked, opened windows, put out our chairs, etc and then headed back to Newton for food and a tour of the town. I'm very sorry to say, I forgot to take my camera with me (that almost never happens) so I don't have any photos, but I can tell you this.................If you're ever in Newton IA, stop and eat at the Newton Family Restaurant. Excellent food, friendly service and great prices. You can't beat that combination!!!!

After eating so much I could hardly move we headed out to see the town. Newton's not too big so the tour doesn't take long, but it's a nice place. We decided to stop at the library and check on Internet access. I'd brought my laptop along, but alas, no wireless at the park. We walked in the door about 10 minutes before closing and the mean library lady wasn't very happy with us. We decided it might be a good idea to try again on Friday. We headed back to the campsite and headed to bed. It had been a long day for both of us and I was pretty sure Friday would be a full day too.

Stay tuned for part 3 of INDY CAR ADVENTURES.

1 comment:

Nej said...

Dang those mean library ladies. :-)

I can hear you being a little less than happy about people doing that exact same thing when you were the librarian. (hehe)